Safety in the home is important – a guide from the experts
Staying safe in your home is very important and something that should never be taken for granted. Therefore, if you smell gas, or suspect there could be a leak, you first need to follow these simple guidelines. They will make sure you and your family stay safe until they can resolve the problem.
1. Firstly, turn off the gas supply at the meter and leave it off until you are told it is safe to switch it back on
2. Open all windows and doors to allow fresh air to come in and the smell of gas to go out
3. Do not switch lights on and off and don’t use any electrical items
4. Do not light matches, use cigarette lighters or smoke
5. Do not use candles
6. Inform your neighbours of the problem
Call the emergency line
Once you have carried out the following safety measures, you must call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999 and report that you smell gas, or suspect there could be a gas leak.
The number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in case of emergencies.
They will ask you a number of questions regarding your concerns, such as:
- How long have you been able to smell gas?
- Where do you think it might be coming from?
- Your name, address and contact information.
They generally deal with such matters within two hours depending on the situation and will make your property safe. Repairs to faulty gas appliances such as a boiler, will have to be dealt with by a professional.
Find a Gas Safe Engineer
After speaking to the National Gas Emergency Service, contact us. One of our Gas Safe Registered engineers will attend your property immediately to repair the damaged boiler or pipework. As a result, your home will be safe once more.
In some cases the best solution will be to replace the boiler. If this situations arises we will help you to choose the perfect replacement. The engineers we work with have experience of a variety of devices from different brands. They can advise you whether a like for like model is best or if you should upgrade. The quotes will be competitive and you can check exactly what each includes.
Call NOW on 0800 311 8990 for expert help and advice on all boiler repairs, installation and maintenance plans, or simply fill in the free Quote form below. The engineers we work with can also look at your central heating to make sure it is healthy.