You have to ensure you consider relevant building regulations when carrying out work on a property. For example, if you want to install a gas boiler in loft regulations are important if this is where you want to put the appliance. You need to ensure any work complies to ensure that it doesn’t compromise safety.
Compliance is essential
Regulations for installing a boiler in a loft space are similar to fitting one in other rooms of a property. For example, anyone installing a gas boiler must be Gas Safe Registered.
Another example is that your boiler needs to be in a position either on or adjacent to an outside wall. This is because regulations mean that a new appliance must be a condensing model (with a few rare exceptions). As a result, a discharge pipe is necessary for the condensation it generates.
Here are some of the regulations you need to follow for loft installation of a boiler:
- The wall on which you mount the boiler must be capable of supporting the weight
- You need to be able to access the loft with a retractable ladder
- There must be a guardrail protecting the loft entrance and exit
- The loft needs to have fixed lighting
- There has to be suitable flooring leading to the boiler so that engineers can gain access for servicing
- There should be water, gas, and electrical isolation points outside of the loft. This is so that the boiler can be easily isolated
Ensuring work is safe
Following regulations ensures that the work and boiler are safe. Also, engineers will be able to carry out any necessary work. This includes annual servicing and repairs when necessary. It is vital that you speak to a qualified heating engineer. This will allow you to discuss specific requirements when installing a new boiler in the property. They can also offer advice on any work to ensure it meets your needs and is in your best interest.
It is crucial that any boiler work complies with regulations. The best way to ensure this is by hiring an engineer on the Gas Safe register. They will know what is necessary.
If you have any more questions about gas boiler in loft regulations, reach out and we will do our best to help you however we can. This includes finding a professional engineer near you.