A problem with the boiler or heating can cause a lot of stress. It not only makes your property less comfortable; it also causes disruptions and can result in big costs to repair the issue. A better alternative may be to upgrade to a reliable modern system. If you want to explore the benefits, read on and then think about contacting a reliable engineer who offers central heating and boiler installation Glasgow residents can’t rate higher.
What are the major causes of problems?
Generally all issues will lead back to a damaged component in the boiler itself or problems with the pipes and radiators. Common issues include:
- No heat or hot water – This could be caused by a loss of pressure, a damaged thermostat, a broken diaphragm, a damaged motorised valve, or even low water levels.
- Leaking – Leaks can occur in different places. When the pressure is set too high it can cause seals to leak. If it is the pump the component may be worn. Corrosion can also cause tank and pipe leaks.
- Lost pressure – A water leak or low level can lower the pressure. Failing to bleed the radiators and a broken relief valve can also cause it.
- Strange noises – Air can cause a number of different noises in the system. Pressure problems could also lead to kettling. If a pump in an older system is about to fail it can lead to banging sounds.
- The pilot light is out – A draught, broken thermocouple, build-up of carbon, or lost gas supply can cause this.
- Thermostat issues – Over time a thermostat may become less accurate or not turn on or off at the right times. This could be due to the property being warmer than expected or because the device is old and damaged.
- Radiators don’t heat up – sludge and air can build up in radiators over time. This can result in them not heating up or only getting hot at the bottom.
If you have any concerns contact a professional engineer. They will advise you and determine what the best course of action is for you. Warm.co.uk can help with this, making it easy to find specialists at central heating and boiler installation Glasgow residents can rely on.
Decide what type of boiler to choose
When opting for new installation the first thing to consider is what type of fuel you want your boiler to be powered by. The choice generally comes down to gas, electric, or biomass. You should look at ongoing fuel costs and availability before making you decision.
After deciding on a fuel you need to consider the actual style of the boiler. There are three main types:
Combi (combination) – these compact models are the most popular type in the UK. They are efficient and save space because there is no pump, tank, or cylinder. You can get gas or electric versions.
Conventional – these older models need a separate tank and cylinder so require more space. The major benefits they offer are lower pressure and the ability to supply hot water to multiple taps simultaneously.
System – a system boiler tends to be larger because the cylinder and tank are incorporated into the design. They can provide the same benefits as conventional with additional direct control of central heating
Opt for condensing technology
Modern boilers come with condensers so they utilise heated exhaust gases to provide more power. This makes them far more efficient and reduces the amount of fuel that is needed.
Contact a professional in Glasgow
Never attempt to fix a boiler or the central heating yourself; you could put yourself at serious risk. Even if the job looks to be professional there could be issues lurking. For example carbon monoxide could be leaking.
Warm.co.uk makes it easy to contact a local Gas Safe Registered engineer. Simply get in touch with us at 0800 311 8990 or complete the quote form. We make it easy to arrange central heating and boiler installation Glasgow property owners will benefit from.