How tenants can stay safe in their rented home

Statistic show that people living in rented properties are unjustifiably more likely to suffer issues with gas appliances. This is despite the fact the law requires landlords to have an annual gas safety inspection of their properties. An accredited Gas Safe registered engineer must do the work. Faulty gas appliances sadly put many tenants at risk. Carbon monoxide poisoning is also a serious concern.

Annual safety checks are compulsory

Boiler ServiceTo ensure the safety of those moving into rented accommodation, landlords must arrange for an annual gas safety check.  Each year every property should receive a CP12 check. A Gas Safe registered engineer has to do this.

A copy of the CP12 certificate must be provided to the tenant. The landlord should keep a copy for their records.

Landlords have to ensure by law, that all gas fittings and features within each property are safe before renting it out to anyone. An annual gas safety inspection must be arranged in addition. This ensures that the tenant is safe for the whole period of the tenancy.

Landlords failing to comply with the laws regarding gas safety, could face prosecution from local authorities and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Possible penalties include a hefty fine and six months in prison.

Landlords must ensure that all gas appliances, pipework, and flues are safe and in good working condition in each of their properties. A Gas Safe registered engineer should complete immediate repair work if there’s cause for concern.

Landlords should also notify their tenants of what steps to take if they have any concerns.

Always ask the landlord before you sign a tenancy agreement

Before you consider renting a property, please speak to the landlord. That way, you can make sure you have an up-to-date copy of the CP12 certificate.

The landlord and tenant must ensure the engineer can access the property when an inspection is due.

To find out more about Landlord Gas Safety Checks, or for any other boiler/ central heating information, help or advice, please click here, or call 0800 311 8990.

All boiler work, whether, it’s a boiler installation, repairs or a service, must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Our local engineers in Southampton are fully qualified experts when it comes to heating and plumbing. Fill in the form below for a free no-obligation quote within the hour.